Thursday, January 15, 2009


ICE….ICE BABY


May God forbid something terrible should ever happen to you or a loved one. With that being said I would like to give you some worthy advice. My family members and some of my friends are police officers and paramedic EMT firefighters. One of the first things that they look for when they come upon a scene (after taking care of you) is I.D. and your cell phone.
They have been trained to scroll through your cell phone to look for the word ICE. I.C.E (no I’m not referring to your drug dealer here; for those of you who don’t know ICE is also an acronym for crystal meth) ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. This number is the first point of contact that police or EMT’s will call. So please put in ice and then the phone number of the person you want to be contacted. You can even add an ice1, ice2, etc. Make sure that contact is aware of all your medical issues, allergies and medications too.
My family member who is an EMT firefighter has had to use this method of contact on several occasions. On one particle occasion he held up the cell phone to a young man’s ear, as the victim was circling the drain (circling the drain is a term that E.M.T.’s use to acknowledge that they are losing the victim).
As he held the phone up to the young mans ear his mother was on the other side of the phone and offered her then dying son words of comfort and love. I don’t share this story to make you sad but I do so to make you think. Please reach for your cell phones and think who my ice is. May God Bless and keep each and everyone of you in the loving palms of his hands.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent advice. Circling the drain. I had never heard that term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talk to my family member who is a EMT and he is the one who taught me about circling the drain. Sometimes I just listen to him tell me about his job.He sees so many awful things on a daily basis and just needs to process it all,and does so in the telling of it. Thanks for the comment Sandy.

    ReplyDelete